Multi-line highlight and comments?

Hi there,

I write in a poetic-type form a lot of times, with a lot of line-breaks. I’d like to be able to do Highlights and Comments over multiple lines, like so:

{==Think about it for a second
If there ever was a day that you should get away
I feel it in my bones I think today's the day
And you can't back down==}

But this isn’t recognized by FoldingText as a contiguous Highlight.

I run into a number of weird things because of this, especially when trying to export (I hate having to put 2 spaces at the end of every line to have Markdown output the line breaks, but haven’t found a better way yet… I digress), but is the multi-line failure to Highlight expected behavior, or something that could possibly be changed?

Thanks!

I’m seeing now that Italics and other tags don’t work across line breaks, either. I see that other editors, at least MultiMarkdown Composer, do recognize italics across line breaks. MMC does not process italics across 2 line breaks, so that:

_“If the readership isn't there, 
if they don't want to participate in this form, 
then the only thing I can say is that 
this particular direction of how the novel could take shape 
clearly didn't work._

Is processed as Italic, but that

_“If the readership isn't there, 
if they don't want to participate in this form, 
then the only thing I can say is that 

this particular direction of how the novel could take shape 
clearly didn't work._

Is not.

Once again, is this expected/correct behavior in FoldingText, or something that might be changed?

This is expected behavior, though I agree it’s buggy compared to normal Markdown standard. The issue is that internally FoldingText parses each line into a separate node object… and then it only does inline parsing (italic, bold, etc) in the context of a single node object.

With that model in mind the way to fix this might be to parse multiple lines (no paragraph breaks just multiple line breaks) into a single node. I think that’s the Markdown model, but doing that would break a lot of FoldingTexts’ basic features, such as the ability to filter lines and add individual tags to lines.

In this case I think theres just a mismatch in FoldingTexts needs and Markdown syntax and I don’t think it’s likely that I can resolve that difference.