What's going to become of TaskPaper?

Hi Jesse, please make custom theme available for TP3, at least on the same way as in FT2. I rely on my custom theme now!!

Unfortunately that won’t be possible, at least not using the same FT2 style CSS. TaskPaper is going to us a native NSTextView for display, meaning there’s no DOM to style. Instead I do plan to add a theme file similar to how TaskPaper 2 works. But for the time being I’m still working to just get the basics working.

Sorry I meant on the TaskPaper 2 theming way, is that possible?

Yes, TaskPaper 2 style theming will be possible, though it’s not yet something that I’m working on.

I totally agree. Birch / Folding Text for Atom is a huge step back, I can’t see why Folding Text and TaskPaper would be abandoned in favor of this. To begin with, I don’t use Atom and I don’t have any desire to. If Folding Text for Atom was amazing then I suppose I would consider using it but again, it is really a step backward from TaskPaper and FoldingText.

@pxquim I know that you mentioned that you don’t want to use Emacs, but org-mode has seriously matured and is a very powerful text-based outliner / productivity suite. I’ve also been considering trying out TaskWarrior again.

Sigh. We’ll see.

Just wanted to put in a good word for Folding Text for Atom here since there have been some less than enthusiatic (understandably) replies here,

It does everything I need, and runs on my Mac and my Windows computer. I have been using it some instead of Omni Outliner because it is simpler and cross-platform. I also love the way it creates nested unordered lists that makes it easy to convert to a dynamic with collapse expand behaviors via a little added javascript.

FT for Atom is getting way too ingrained in my workflow, and I would gladly pay for it. But I fear the project might be abandoned, and/or that an Atom update will break Folding Text for Atom and it will not be fixed.

Jesse, Can you comment on your plans for FT for Atom and when work might resume? I’m concerned, especially in light of your comment about the difficulty of selling an Atom based product.

Thanks

@Greg_Fuller Hi, truth is I’m not sure. Of the top of my head:

1. I don’t expect to add new features to FoldingText for Atom in it’s current form, though if some Atom update breaks things I will try to fix if it’s not to hard (I did this once a few months back).

2. I’ve continued to work on the FoldingText for Atom codebase (it’s now the engine behind TaskPaper 3). It won’t run in Atom, but it’s still setup as an Atom project and uses Atom test suite. I still like Atom and launch it everyday.

3. My text engine is setup in a generic fashion so that it is possible to plug it into different editors. Right now all of my effort is going towards making it work with the OS X native NSTextView. But I still have hopes that in the future I’ll have a chance to plug it into Atom’s text editor so the underlying tech will be available on Atom again. But that’s a future hope at the moment, not a plan that I’m actively working on.

Thanks for the response.