Thanks for making FoldingText

Hi @jessegrosjean,

I wanted to say thank you for making FoldingText and I was sad to learn today that there’s some doubt about it’s future.

I’ve purchased and started using WriteRoom and FoldingText what seems liek ages ago. And while I stopped using WriteRoom, I continued to use FoldingText every day. It does what it’s supposed to do and doesn’t get in my way.

The combination of markdown with the calc and todo modes are the key reasons why. Giving me a functional scratch pad I can use throughout the day. And an editor for any long-term notes.

While I follow and participate in the development of other open source software I use, I wasn’t following the progress of the software I’ve bought from independent developers. And I regret that.

This week after installing Big Sur I wanted to only install things I really use. I didn’t want to just copy everything onto the fresh install. The consistency of how FoldingText works and behaves. And that it’s stuck to being a tool and not becoming a platform was a big part of why I keep using it. And why it was one of the first things that I installed.

So thanks again and I do hope a practical soution is in the future for FoldingText.

I was not able to install FT on BigSur, you did succeed? No problem?

TIA

Just tried installing on Big Sur, and seems to be working fine so far.

I got this crash message:

“Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception ‘NSInvalidArgumentException’, reason: ‘*** -[NSURL URLByAppendingPathComponent:]: component, components, or pathExtension cannot be nil.’
terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
abort() called”

thanks

@amelchi, yes I was able to install it. I did wipe my laptop and did a clean install. I doubt this would make a difference, but I installed xcode before installing any other applications.

Michael

Hello,

with a clean BigSur installation it works!

Thanks

It’s great that OP liked it so much. I never used it, but I love taskpaper, and I think most people do. It’s important to remember what truly matters, and if FoldingText as to be cancelled and that energy channeled into TaskPaper, I’m all for it :smiley: